Friday, May 10, 2024

Coot proves that spring is here. Published 05/08/2024

 The Old Coot proves that spring is here.

By Merlin Lessler

 Everyone knows a robin is the first sign of spring. The second sign, is a confirmation – an old coot walking up Davis Hill, that steep, winding lane that starts at Taylor Road (East Front St.) and ends at Lisle Road. I just completed that hike, and several residents from King’s Point and nearby were fortunate enough to observe that spring time was confirmed. And, I was fortunate enough not to have been run over. 

I recommend the climb to anyone looking to get their heart beating a little faster, and a sense of peace and tranquility from hiking a hill with trees on both sides filled with bird songs, squirrels rustling through dry leaves and deer families crossing to greener pastures.

There are a few tricks to getting up and down safely. First and foremost, to focus your ears on listening for cars. You have to know if one is coming at you and then quickly move to the edge of the road. When I do, I lean on my walking stick with a smile on my face and my hand up in a thank you wave. It’s almost always returned.

The stick also helps to make the climb, adding some arm power to the effort. I’ve used one for decades, a habit that began when hiking trails in New Hampshire’s White Mountains. But, no more! I hiked Mt Lafayette when I was 75 and concluded the smart thing was to make it my last. Coming down proved especially difficult. My daughter Amy and her kids, Wylie, Oriah and Atlas accompanied me on that climb. I hope they get the hiking bug.

But, back to the tricks to survive Davis Hill, where cars speed up and down on this winding race track. You must listen hard and get to the side. I criss cross so the cars coming toward me always have a good sight line and time to avoid converting me into road kill. I step back well in advance and lean on my stick. The stick gets you pity instead of irritation; it makes you look old and feeble. Pity is underrated, but it can serve you well when walking up Davis Hill where everyone is in a hurry. Anyhow, it’s official. Spring is here!

Comments, complaints? Send to mlessler7@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment