The Old Coot is Positive, Almost, Maybe, Sort of!
By Merlin Lessler.
I’m positive,” is something we say when we’re young, a time when our memories are firing on all eight cylinders. As we get older and discover we are sometimes wrong, it gets modified to, I’m almost positive. With each new decade, our statements lose their assurance. I’m almost positive evolves to, I’m fairly positive, and then to I’m somewhat sure. By the time we apply for Social Security, all bets are off; we qualify every statement, with things like: “Or so I’ve been told” – “At least that’s what I’ve been led to believe” – “According to so-and-so.”
Every time we are corrected, it decreases our use of positive statements, transitioning us to where we aren’t sure of anything. Our language proves it: “I think his name is Bill.” – “I’ve heard the Murphys and the Johnsons are back from Florida.” – “I guess that we turn the clocks ahead this weekend.” We don’t know anything!
Then, a magical thing happens. All of a sudden, we’re positive again. It’s not that we’ve gotten any smarter, just the opposite. We know less than we’ve ever known. It’s just that we’ve moved into our 80’s. It’s a wonderful time of life. We don’t care what other people think. It doesn’t matter that we are corrected when we say that Owego celebrated its bicentennial in 1985 instead of 1987. Or, when we are talking to Daphne and call her Darcy. We got the first letter of her name right and that’s good enough. Old phrases come back into our vocabulary: “I’m positive!” – “I’d bet my life on it!” – “There is no question about it!”
People who stop me on the street and ask for directions get a full dose of my know-it-all, cocky attitude. It doesn’t matter where they want to go. I give all of them the same instructions. I send them to the high school. That’s where most strangers want to go anyhow. With great assurance and positivity I tell them to turn left on George Street and then right when they come to the statue of an Indian on a horse, even though the statue was removed a few years ago.
No comments:
Post a Comment