Friday, December 9, 2022

Old Coot misses the headbands. A Tioga County Courier and Owego Pennysaver article of 12-07-2022

 The Old Coot “heads” into the past.

By Merlin Lessler

 I saw a guy on the beach wearing a headband the other day. It surprised me. Jolted me! I forgot all about them. A sweatband from the past. It was like seeing a ghost. What happened to sweatbands – those semi-elastic, terrycloth loops that athletes wore. And, by athletes, I mean anyone who went outside and moved on foot, in a wheelchair, pushing a walker or a bicycle, whatever. Moved in any way at all. It was a signature fashion statement that said, “I’m an athlete!”

 If you went to marathon, there would be a sea of joggers wearing head bands. This was the era before the baseball cap took over America. Head bands ruled in the 70’s and 80’s. I had several in my jogging days: white, black, blue, tri-color. They were very effective at keeping the sweat on your forehead from running into, and burning your eyes. I guess they went the way of the earmuff, another head piece you hardly see anymore.

 You could buy headbands anyplace: sporting-goods stores, department stores, gas stations, grocery stores. It was a world of sweatbands. Now, it’s just a fashion dot in history. Discarded and buried with no funeral. Yet how did this happen? They were so useful and looked cool! It made a statement, not just a fashion statement, but a sign that the wearer moved around enough to perspire. 

 I miss them. I checked around to see if they were available in our local stores. No luck there. I’ll have to go on Amazon, something I’d rather not do, but it’s often the only place you can get things you’re looking for without running all over town, breaking out into a sweat. And, without a headband!

 Ps. – You just might spot a headband a basketball game. But, that’s about it.

 Comments? Send to mlesssler7@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment