Friday, June 11, 2021

Brr, that water is cold! - Old Coot Article - Tioga NY County Courier

 The Old Coot took a dive.

By Merlin Lessler

 I took a swim the other day. It wasn’t planned. Some people would classify it as a fall, something they keep track of when you’re an old coot. I call it an unexpected immersion.

 The Johnson’s Pool people were here to “open” our pool. I usually do it myself but my wife decided I’m too old to pull the cover off without falling in or creating a mess with the junk that lies on top of the cover. I hate it when she’s right! So anyhow, the Johnson pool crew had the cover off, all the plugs removed and were prepping the filter and pump mechanism, a short distance behind the pool. I was backing around the edge, blasting the maple tree helicopters away from the edge of the pool with a hose. It was a chilly afternoon; I dressed for the weather in jeans, a winter sweater and a jacket.

 It was the least I could do, this little housekeeping chore. As I backed around one of the corners, which are rounded off, I miscalculated and backed right over the edge into the pool.  I used to take a dip with my son when we took off the cover in April or early May. It was a tradition – 2 brave souls in 50 degree water. I was a lot younger in those days; my son Zachary moved out on his own and the tradition came to an end. Until now! Our pool is the smallest that Johnsons ever installed, at least at the time -10 feet by 20 feet, 5 and 1/2 feet deep in the deep end.

 I wasn’t in any danger as I took my unplanned dip in the 49-degree water that had just been treated with three gallons of chlorine. With supervision and yelps from my wife, I paddled to the shallow end and climbed out, a drowned rat coughing from chlorine fumes. My cell phone decided to stay in the pool, sinking to the bottom in the deep end. Now, I have a new one. And know for sure, that the rice-in-a-bag treatment for a wet phone doesn’t work for one that took a long swim.

 I hope I haven’t started a new pool opening tradition. I can’t afford to buy a new cell phone every year.

 Comments? Send to – mlessler7@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment